As Facebook reached a billion users in 2012, we are increasingly moving toward a digital lifestyle. In fact for many people out of that billion, the majority of their social life takes place online. The good news for business is that the growth of digital media and cloud computing has made it possible for start-ups and SMBs to compete on a scale that was otherwise not possible.
But many organizations continue to use entry-level accounting software, hammer out spreadsheets manually or—say it aint so—run the business with pen and pad. They probably need to upgrade to cloud ERP. In a recent blog post, David Lintchicum argues that small businesses have no choice but to use the cloud. Well that is an easily debatable point I’m sure. But it does raise an eyebrow, and there are no doubt a lot SMBs out there that could really benefit from a cloud ERP solution.
So here are ten signs that a business needs an upgrade from the Community Dynamics blog, The Edge.
- Transaction volume is increasing and regular business processes are eating up more and more staff time.
- You have to wait for employees to audit the data and close the books to get the information you need.
- You need to ask your IT department to build reports or software add-ons.
- You are planning to add locations or facilities.
- Employees are reconciling accounts outside of the accounting system, or are creating other workarounds.
- Data entry and reporting errors are increasing.
- Reports don’t include the level of detail needed to make important business decisions.
- The number of transactions and accounts is impeding system performance.
- The number of users who can access your accounting system is limited.
- Employees need to access data from mobile devices to be more productive.